Sunday, November 28, 2010

Blu Jam Cafe

Ahhhh Los Angeles; home to Hollywood, Silicon Valley, no snow, everyone owning a pretentious Toyota Prius and an unnecessary amount of pets.

Auspiciously, LA also is host to a remarkable culinary scene, so I took full advantage of a Thanksgiving trip to see a close friend, to incorporate a visit from one half of the Gastronome and the Chowhound.

Photobucket
Storefront

My first true meal was breakfast at Blu Jam Cafe. We opted to sit outside since the temperature was obviously weather-permitting. I was unaware that this was foreshadowing for the arrival of pets at neighboring tables, but whatever.

Photobucket
Hot Tea

As I was soon to discover, hot tea ($3) arrives in its own French Press everywhere in the Golden State. I ordered some decaf hot tea and it was very great. The novelty was pleasing.

Photobucket
Coffee

There are many things I don't know, and coffee is one of them. I don't know if this was a latte, frappawhatever, mocha-chai thing or what. But it looked awesome and came with a little cookie. It was approximately $3.50.

Photobucket
Loxex

For my breakfast I ordered the Loxex ($14.95). It was served with Norwegian lox, three eggs, onions, brie, tomatoes and potatoes. All of the flavors worked effortlessly. Brie is always a gamble. The flavor can be heavy and overpower the other ingredients. However, here it served as a good balance. The sour cream and chives added a clean touch. The standard starches of bread and potatoes were perfect. Presentation was key as well. It was Although the price was staggering, I was impressed.


Photobucket
Migas

My friend ordered the Migas ($10.95). This dish was right up my ally. Clearly infused with Mexican influence, this spicy omelet had all the right elements. Delicious scrambled eggs were combined with bell peppers, tortilla chips and mozzarella cheese. The heat came in a scaffolding effect of spice. You the jalapeƱos started off at one level, and the chorizo sausage stepped it up, followed by chipotles. Each component was a little spicier than the next but none were too overpowering. Topped with roasted salsa and served with a flour tortilla and potatoes, this was awesome.

Photobucket
Side Chicken Curry

For absolutely no reason, we ordered a scoop of chicken curry ($3.95). While I do love curry in many forms, I am not a fan of raisins. However, they contributed an unbelievable sweetness to this savory dish. The presentation was clean and the flavors were seamless.

Photobucket
Turkey and Fennel Sausage

Where my friend ordered the chicken curry, I acquired yet another protein in the Italian Turkey and Fennel Sausage ($3.50) side. These were juicy, plump, and crisp. I am usually not a fennel enthusiast because the flavor is too pronounced, but I found that in this case, it was tremendous.
This was my first breakfast in Los Angeles and was very satisfied. I would have said the prices were high, but they were comparable and competitive to the area. Great experience. I would certainly dine here again.

Rating: Strongly Recommended
Website: www.blujamcafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment